Thursday, 7 January 2010
Grungepaper flower tutorial
For those of you who follow my blog you will know that I have said that I will be posting some exciting tutorials. Well here is the first one a flower made from Grungepaper which I bought from Craft Obsessions. It is used by the amazing Tim Holtz who does a lot of altered art. I had the opportunity to watch the man in action at the Trade show at the NEC last year, courtesy of Hotshot crafts. Thank you Sarah. I had a great day there.
This paper is amazing if you haven't come across it yet. Don't mix it up with Grungeboard which is thicker. This paper wont tear or rip but you can cut it with scissors or use it in a Die cutting machine. I use Sizzix Big Shot.
You can also colour it with ink pads, distress inks, stamp on it, emboss it and shape it.
First though I must state that the actual flower tutorial is not my idea. I have merely taken it a step further. The original tutorial is by the amazing Michele Roos.
Below is also a picture of the paper flowers I have made following this tutorial .
At the top of this post are pictures of the flower made with the Grungepaper
So now for the tutorial. There are quite a few pictures to help you through, but it is very easy and I am sure you will agree very affective.
1. The items you will need
2. Using Sizzix flowers die cut out 2 large and 4 small flowers. Draw a circle about the size of a 5p in the middle of each one.
3. I have distress inked both sides of the flowers with a lighter shade of green.
4. I then go around the edges with a darker shade, again on both sides.
5. Stamp whatever you wish onto the flowers. I stamp only on one side and I use Versafine ink. I have used a flourish stamp but a sentiment stamp would be nice too.
6. Cut each petal down to the circle you drew on it earlier.
7. Curl the petals. I use Joanna Sheen long tweezers, but you could use a cocktail stick, or pencil. the grungepaper shapes easily.
8.Turn the flowers over and do the same with the other side of the petal
9. Punch a hole in the center of each flower and layer them up as shown
10. Fix with a brad.
11. You could add Stickles glitter for mare sparkle.
12. You could also add a brooch fitting on the back so that you can wear you creation.
13. Why not attach it to a hat, handbag, pair of shoes or necklace.
If you have other ideas let me know.
So there it is. What do you think?.
It doesn't take long to make. putting on this tutorial took longer than making it!!!!
If you have a go or have any questions let me know. I would love to see your creations.
Love Sarah XXX
p.s. keep checking back for more tutorials or join my list of followers so that you don't miss out